Skip to main content

1950's Western Women Hairstyles

I would say that women in the 1950’s had good hairstyles. You mostly see women with short hair than long.

Do not get me wrong I have seen women with long hair, but it was rare since the trend at that time was to have short hair that was curly. I am a full supporter with women with dark brown hair with curls.

I do like that they did not think of women with short hair as portraying too close to be looking like men or that they were copying their hairstyle. It is not a competition at all.

All genders can choose to have their short or long if they wish too. Society did have the image that women with short hair were housewives, medium for young, and long for Hollywood pin ups.

Which I do not think that women should abide by these. I am fond of women having short hair so that there is less to do with it.

I am personally one who likes to keep her hair short as I do not have patience for long hair. When going to salons in the 1950’s it was a lot easier to style or cut someone’s hair since it was so short.

Many women washed and styled their hair quick because of the length they had. Since short hairstyles require you to cut more frequently to keep it’s shape salons got a lot of customers and money.

Lot of people during the 1950’s rarely wore hats since it was advertised to the style and show off your hair. I am sure many stores sold out their hair products especially with hair curlers and hair spray.

I love how women curled their hair in the 50’s. It is having a beach wave vibe to what us in 2020 love to wear.

During this era, many women had poufy and luxurious hair that shined in the light. How earrings complimented the look and can be easily shown since many had short hairstyles.

In having short hair, they did look more mature and older which is not a bad thing. I think it also represented modesty and embracing being and looking like a healthy woman.

I have to say not everyone pulled off the short hairstyle and some did. I think the two who looked the best in short hair was Lucille Ball and Marylin Monroe.

I fully support short hair in women and no they do not look like men at all. In fact, it makes them look more feminine.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Colored 50’s Accessories for fifters

This a unique box of items that were worn in the 1950’s! I notice there is a pair of glasses and sunglasses. Along with three pairs of polka dot earrings and a silk scarf as well. At the left corner there is a black and white printed headband and a pair of gloves too. There is a total of eight items in this accessory box. My grandmother used to have many of these style of gloves in her closet. When she would show them to me as a child, she would smile so bright and tell me stories of how she got them.

Blue and Red Word Search Book

This is an awesome booklet for those who love the 50’s! It has many pages to keep your brain busy by searching for words with just your eyes. I noticed that is has yellow wording and an arrow indicating to open the book. The front page has labeled the 1950’s on it and the author has made sure to put their name on it. At the top right corner of the red/yellow square you see a star shape. My sister loves to do crossword puzzles and she has a collection of them in her closet. It reminds me of seeing her use them at her doctor’s visits.

Skintight White Lingerie for Those who Love the 50's

This is a sexy white lace lingerie piece for fifters! I notice that this type of clothing has a flower print and has an opening in the middle. This part is smooth and is without any substance on it. This piece has two straps on the side that are meant for tights and have metal at the top and bottom. The material is stretchy and is so adorable. My friend has lingerie clothing just like this one and when she wears this, she has a lot of confidence. She always tells me her boyfriend melts when she is in this piece.